Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 5 - Ginger Hot Chocolate

I love ginger drinks. People in China drink ginger boiled in Coke. There was Sprite on Fire (which I just read was also referred to as Sprite Finger Lemon???). And to me, the purpose of adding ginger to a drink is so you get a kick of spicy flavor that burns the back of your throat. It's great for when you're sick.

Don't drink the City Bakery's Ginger Hot Chocolate if you're sick. It might even be a tad hard to stomach when you're well. The ginger flavor was so understated that I wouldn't even say that I "tasted" it. It was more like one of those flavors that you smell, that hangs around in your mouth and in your nose but never quite makes an impact on your taste buds. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being faint smell and 10 being overwhelming taste, it was 3.5. I would have liked a little more power behind the ginger. Rosa didn't even taste it.


On the other hand, the City Bakery Pretzel Croissant is AMAZING. It was far more croissant than pretzel (90/10) but it did combine the best feature of croissants - buttery, flaky layers - with the saltiness of pretzels. I was expecting it to be more hard, like a pretzel, but was pleasantly surprised. I find pretzels very dry and unappetizing, like what I imagine silica gel tastes like.

Before:


After: 


After I accidentally pulled out the middle:



Final answer: Meh. 

Coming up: Banana Peel! 

4 comments:

  1. That pastry looks delicious! I want to hear about the soy experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one, not even my Cantonese friends, believed me when I said my mom would boil ginger in Coke
    for me when I was sick. I'll admit it was somewhat unbelievable considering she hardly ever had junk food in the house, but that's besides the point.

    In any case, thanks for confirming that it's a certifiably Chinese practice. Talk about getting back to my "roots"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a guai lo and I love ginger! Also love boiled ginger in coke. So good...

    ReplyDelete